TSA Friendly Makeup & Skincare Packing Tips
TSA got you questioning how you're going to fit everything you love on board? Same. I've been preparing to go on a 10-day trip to California and much has changed since the last time I boarded a plane. Most notably, I began wearing more makeup consistently and using more skincare products towards the end of undergrad. This ultimately means that I have to create a new system of travel-friendly and more notably TSA-friendly packing. If you aren't familiar with the 3:1:1: guidelines, they are pretty simple to remember. First, each liquid item must be under 3 ounces (~88 mL) and each person is allowed 1 quart-sized sealable bag. Simple enough but for a girl that's beefed up her makeup and skincare regimen, it is a daunting task. My first thought was how do I bring my 6 step skincare regimen along with the 3:1:1 guidelines. Well this is how:
1 Quart Ziploc Bag
I used a supersized sandwich bag with a 1-quart dimension. It was a little challenging fitting everything in the bag, BUT I was successful. I used some refillable silicon bottles for my shampoo, conditioner and body wash. As for my skincare, I used some spatulas to fill three jars with 10 days worth of product. The rest was coming as is; either in a full-sized or travel-sized container. Luckily, my water-based cleanser is in a solid stick form so I didn't need to worry about making it travel sized.
First, I managed to strategically pack the following items:
- Not Your Mother's Way to Grow Shampoo (1.25 oz/37 mL)
- Not Your Mother's Way to Grow Conditioner (1.25 oz/37 mL)
- Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash (2 oz/ 60 mL)
- Haemish All Clean Balm Oil Cleanser (0.35 oz/ 10 mL)
- Cosrx Glactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence (0.35 oz/ 10 mL)
- Cosrx Advanced Snail 92 All in One Cream (0.35 oz/ 10 mL)
- Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50 (2.4 oz/ 71 mL)
- Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask in Natural (0.52 oz/ 15 g)
- Too Faced Hangover Replenishing Primer (1.35 oz/ 40 mL)
- Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Eye Cream (0.5 oz/ 15 mL)
- Colourpop No Filter Concealer in Medium Tan (0.14 oz/ 4 g)
- Fenty Beauty Pro Filt'r Soft Matte Longwear Foundation in 290 (1.08 oz/ 32 mL)
- The Ordinary 100% Plant-Derived Squalane Oil (30 mL)
- The Chemistry Brand Hand Cream (30 mL)
- Travel Toothpaste (0.85 oz/ 24 g)
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper (0.19 oz/ 0.55 mL)
- Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (0.27 oz/ 8 mL)
- Colourpop Ultra Blotted Liquid Lipstick in Doozy (0.10 oz/ 3 g)
- Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb in Fenty Glow (0.30 oz/ 9 mL)
- Huda Beauty Liquid Lipstick in Trophy Wife (0.064 oz/ 1.9 mL)
All items are well under the 3 ounce limit and after some tough love I managed to seal the top of the bag. If I were to try again, I would consider getting a travel sized mascara tube and depositing some of my squalane oil into a smaller container. When I reach my destination, I will be purchasing a travel-sized contact solution bottle to use during my trip in case you were wondering. As for the rest, the list consists of solid and powder formulas.
Wanderlust Travel Bag
I'll be placing my 1 quart bag inside this clear pouch along with my empty contacts case, a travel toothbrush and my Neogen Cleansing Stick.
The Excursionist Makeup Bag
I'm not exactly fond of the material but it does the job. I think this is a spacious makeup bag for not only makeup but any toiletries if you're going on an overnight trip. There is even a pouch for jewelry which I think is perfect if I had to take only one bag.
I decided to pack some versatile palettes. My amazing friend Stephanie gifted me this gorgeous Huda Beauty travel palette which is perfect for day and night looks. Honestly, I would just bring this palette if I was running low on space. Since my makeup bag is spacious, I added the Yes Please palette from Colourpop since I use it daily and it's very thin and durable. I managed to pack some compacts that provide me with dual or a trio of shades to save on space. The rest are my everyday makeup essentials, save for the setting powder which I decided I could live without.
Next, I packed the following in makeup bag:
- Colourpop Brush Set
- Real Techniques Stippling Brush
- e.l.f. Precise Airbrush Stippling Brush
- Sigma Cashmere Collection Brushes
- Sonia Kaushak Spoolie
- Colourpop Yes Please Palette
- Fenty Beauty Killawatt Highlighter in Lightning Dust/ Fire Crystal
- Anastasia Beverly Hills DipBrow Pomade
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Blush Trio in Peachy Love
- Huda Beauty Mauve Obsessions Palette (Thanks Stephanie!)
- Alexis Ren x Coloupop Topaz Palette
- Colourpop Blotted Lipstick in Sucker
That's pretty much it for my makeup and skincare picks for this upcoming trip. If you're interested in more visuals of how I pack these items be sure to check out the video below:
Let me know in the comments below how you pack for your trips. I'd love to know any tips or tricks you use to hack the 3:1:1 guidelines.
See you next time!
FTC: This post is NOT sponsored. All opinions are my own.